What is ERCP?
ERCP, Endoscopic Retrograde CholangioPancreatography, is a procedure to treat problems of the bile and pancreatic ducts. Unlike MRCP, magnetic resonance cholangiography, which is only a diagnostic test, ERCP offers both diagnostic and therapeutic treatment.
When is ERCP used?
ERCP is used when it is suspected a person’s bile or pancreatic ducts may be narrowed or blocked due to:
· Tumors, such as pancreatic cancer, bile duct cancer
· Stones that are stuck in the ducts causing jaundice and pain
· Inflammation, such as pancreatitis
· Gates in the ducts that called sphincters, which won’t open properly
· Scarring or narrowing of the ducts
· Pseudocysts—accumulations of fluid and tissue debris
· Bile leak after gallbladder surgery